ABOUT THE DEPOT
The Aslan Depot, housed in the historic Union Depot building in downtown Bellingham, WA, is a barrel-aging facility, 21+ taproom, and event space. The tap roster includes a wide variety of artisan beer, cider, and wine. Guest taps from several craft breweries join Aslan’s barrel-aged, blended, and unusual brews. We now bring food from our Brewpub across the street to your table!
The Union Depot building, which once served as a public stop for interurban electric streetcars and motor buses, has been restored to the public as the Aslan Depot, a site of beer exploration, community, and discourse.
HISTORY OF BUILDINGS
The historic Union Depot was erected on Elk Street in downtown Bellingham, Washington, in 1916 by architect Frank C. Burns. Elk Street was renamed State Street in 1926 to represent the city’s transformation from frontier village to metropolitan centre. Originally, the structure served as a stop for interurban electric streetcars and motor buses. The interurban “stage” service, similar to today’s shuttle bus, provided links to Whatcom County sites such as Lynden and Ferndale. The interurban supported 17 stage lines and completed 77 daily trips when the Union Depot opened in 1922. The interurban was owned and operated by Puget Sound Power & Light, which discontinued passenger service in 1928 as buses proved more popular and cost effective. Many tenants have occupied the property in various capacities over the years. Aslan Brewing Co. took over the lease in January of 2017 and renovated the property into The Aslan Depot, a barrelhouse and taproom for the Bellingham community to enjoy for many years to come.
(Photos by J.W. Sandison, courtesy of the Whatcom Museum)